All pre-portfolio students in the program share a common experience of courses in applied process and theory. After their first year, each student gathers work samples from her or his courses to date in an online portfolio that is reviewed by the faculty.
Students who pass the portfolio review continue as New Media Majors in years 2 through 4, choosing among five course sequences to develop a broad awareness of this evolving discipline.
From time to time students are brought together in core courses that explore the collaborative process. In the final year, a six-credit senior capstone course completes the BA. Here, students design and produce advanced projects ranging from online communities to mobile games to interactive installations.
Majors are required to explore more than one of five multi-level course sequences, as described below in “sequence requirements”.
- Documentary Sequence (x41): DIGITAL IMAGING, REPORTING & DOCUMENTARY PRODUCTION
- Interaction Sequence (x42): INFORMATION & INTERACTION DESIGN
- Narrative Sequence (x43): DIGITAL NARRATIVE
- Time-based Sequence (x44): TIME ART AND DESIGN
- Network Sequence (x45): NETWORKS & CREATIVITY
Overall requirements for the New Media Major are:
- 5 pre-portfolio courses (15 credits) and portfolio acceptance.
- 4 NMD core courses (12 credits).
- 5 NMD sequence courses (9 credits at 34x and 6 at 44x).
- 2 NMD elective courses (6 credits; see list)
Subtotal credits for Major: 48
Subtotal credits outside Major: 72
Total credits to graduate: 48 + 72 = 120
First Year Requirements:
- NMD 100 Introduction to New Media
- NMD 102 Fundamentals of Information Systems
- NMD 104 Design Basics for New Media, [GE credit]
- NMD 150/160 Scripting for New Media
- NMD 200 New Media Strategies
NMD 341 Digital Reporting 1
NMD 342 Internet tech/ Interactivity
NMD 343 Digital Narrative I
NMD 344 Design Synectics
NMD 345 Networks & Creativity I
6 req. – Choose 2 of the following>
NMD 441 Digital Reporting II
NMD 442 Interactive Technologies
NMD 443 Digital Narrative II
NMD 444 Explorations in Time-Based Design
NMD 445 Networks & Creativity II
TOTAL SEQUENCE CREDITS: 15
3NMD 270 Digital Art I [GE]
3NMD 295 Digital Publication Design
3NMD 295 Recording Arts
3NMD 344 Year in Film I
3NMD 370 Digital Art II-A, Modeling, Animation [GE]
3NMD 371 Digital Art II-B, Video [GE]
3NMD 372 Digital Art II-C, Interactivity [GE]
3NMD 398 Topics in New Media
3NMD 430 Topics in New Media
3NMD 444 Year in Film II
TOTAL ELECTIVE CREDITS: 6